The CUNY Mapping Service at CUR engages with foundations, government agencies, businesses, nonprofits, and other CUNY researchers to use spatial information and analysis techniques to develop and execute applied research projects. The Mapping Service is directed by Steven Romalewski, who joined the Center for Urban Research in January 2006. Our team includes David Burgoon, Christy Spielman, and Kristen Grady.
We specialize in the development of online applications that provide intuitive access to powerful data sets, displayed visually through interactive maps and in other formats.
- NYC Council districting: an interactive map comparing current districts to proposed lines for the 2012-2013 process to redraw New York's Council districts;
- Eligible voter population by NYS Senate and Assembly district, showing the "citizen voting age population" (CVAP) for each district vs. overall population counts. Move your mouse over each district to display total population counts by race/ethnicity along with CVAP estimates.
- Related analysis of eligible voter data at CUR's website.
- Eligible voter population by Congressional district in New York, showing the "citizen voting age population" (CVAP) for each district vs. overall population counts. Move your mouse over each district to display total population counts by race/ethnicity along with CVAP estimates.
- plus an analysis of the differences.
- Redistricting in New York State: an interactive map comparing current districts to proposed lines for state legislature and Congress.
- Welcome to 1940s New York: a website based on a 1943 NYC Market Analysis rich in local maps, photos, data, and narratives, providing a rare glimpse into life in New York City during that time.
- Visualizing Demographic Change: NYC and other major cities
- plus detailed analysis of race/ethnicity changes in New York neighborhoods
- Census 2010 Hard to Count Maps
- Open Accessible Space Information System (OASIS)
- Long Island Index interactive mapping site
Center for Urban Research
The Graduate Center
365 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10016